Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patrick's Day - Our Irish ancestors came here, I want to go back

St. Patrick's Day is one of my favorite holidays. What can be better than celebrating my heritage while sipping on a cold beer, I ask you? My Irish ancestor, James McGuire, was born in 1747 in Fermanagh County, Ireland, and came to America just prior to the start of the Revolutionary War, which he fought in.

Being a military family, we have been given many wonderful opportunities to travel. A few years ago were were stationed overseas and were able to travel to Ireland for a week long visit. We started in Dublin and then headed to Northern Ireland, which is where my lines emigrated from. It was wonderful to walk in the footsteps of James McGuire and realize what a difficult decision it must have been to leave such a beautiful place.

So today I will eat my cottage pie and soda bread and wash it down with a Harp. All the while drinking to James McGuire. He came here to America, but I want to go back.








1 comment:

zelsersk said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you too. Cottage pie sounds more authentic to Ireland than corned beef and cabbage. I will, however, be taking part in the latter. Slainte!