Pages

Friday, September 28, 2012

Family Recipe Friday - Skyline Chili

A roommate in college introduced my husband to Skyline Chili in the late 90s. The roommate had brought it to school from his hometown of Cincinnati. My husband was hooked.
How the restaurant serves Skyline Chili.
I once mentioned this to a family friend and lo and behold they had a copy kat recipe of the chili. I have not had the chance to try the chili at the restaurant, but my husband says it's close to what he remembers...and even if it isn't, it's delicious! This chili has a little different flavor from "normal" chili because it calls for cinnamon and allspice. You also serve it over spaghetti and cover it with sharp cheddar. I add chopped tomatoes and beans to make it a little more robust. I have made this chili in a crock pot and on the stove and both ways turn out great.

My version: The spices waiting for meat and onions.
Skyline Chili

2 pounds lean ground beef                                        
2 onions, minced
35 black peppercorns                                                 
6 bay leaves, crushed
4 whole dried red chili peppers, seeded and diced
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 gloves garlic, whole
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
3 Cups water
2 Tbsp. Chili powder
1 tsp. Ground cayenne pepper
2 ½ Tbsp. Distilled white vinegar
1 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 ½ tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. salt
1 can Chili beans
1 can diced tomatoes
Shredded Colby cheese

 
Directions
  1. Brown ground beef in skillet with onions. Drain fat.
  2. Place the whole peppercorns, bay leaves, small red peppers and pepper flakes in a spice bag.
  3. In a large pot, combine the garlic, tomato paste, water, chili powder, cayenne pepper, vinegar, cinnamon, allspice, Worcestershire sauce and salt with the ground beef and onions and spice bag. Add can of beans and diced tomatoes. Cook over low hear for 3-4 hours.
  4. When ready to serve, remove spice bag and whole garlic cloves. Top with cheese. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay, Cincy Chili! My hometown is Cincinnati, and I got the recipe years and years ago and have been making it ever since...especially since I now live in Tennessee, and we have no Skyline (or any other chili parlor) here. Last weekend we were in Cincy for Oktoberfest and our first meal was a big 5-way! I'm going to post this on my blog today for family recipe day. Thanks!