Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Treasure Chest Thursday - The Screwdriver

You may think it strange, but one of my dearest treasures is a screwdriver.
The Screwdriver
This is my beloved screwdriver. Squirreled away from my parents' house many years ago I have coveted this tool for as long as I can remember. It belonged to my father and was his go-to screwdriver for any task. This was the "go get my screwdriver" screwdriver. The blotches of paint signify the varying colors of paint cans it was used to open and remind me of the many colors of our house. The shaft of the screwdriver is reversible making it both a flat and Phillips head screwdriver.

It has now become the go-to screwdriver in our family. We've used it to fix broken toys, make updates to our first house and teach our children how to use tools. The best part of this treasure? Every time I use it I think of my dad and there is no better reason to love it.

8 comments:

Wendy said...

Some of my favorite "treasures" are the utilitarian ones like your go-to screwdriver, not the fancy or expensive whatchamacallit in the china cabinet.

BarnsleyHistorian said...

That's a really lovely post ... my mum still has a big round tin in one of the kitchen cupboards with my dad's household tool kit in it - screwdriver, small hammer, pliers etc standing up like kitchen utentsils and a mess of screws and wires and fuses and picture hooks in the bottom of the tin.

Thank you for making me think about that Heather. xx

John said...

I really liked this! A short, well-written reminder that the best treasures in life usually have little monetary value, but a worth the world to those who treasure them! ;-)

Linda said...

I am so glad you have your Father's screwdriver to treasure. Thanks for sharing.

Heather Kuhn Roelker said...

I'm the same way, Wendy. It's more about the small things. I have some sewing things of my mom's that have no value but remind me of her so they are priceless! I appreciate the kind words Historian and John! I've been getting my house ready to sell and have used that screwdriver nearly everyday for the past few weeks. Every time I pick it up I think of my dad so I was driven to write about it. Now I'm thinking of all the small things of personal value I have...more posts to come! ;)

SallySearches said...

That's great! It's really all about connections, whether to people or things.

Debi Austen said...

I love this reminder to think about the small treasures we have. My dad had a hammer/screwdriver with baby screwdrivers in the handle which brings back such wonderful memories. I need to get my hands on it!

Queen Bee said...

I so enjoyed this post and agree with John that it doesn't have to be something extravagant to be considered a treasure. Loved your mention of the paint colors of your family home on the screwdriver. Sounds like this tool has been around for a long time and now you're making memories to attach with it for your family. Hopefully the screwdriver will last long enough for your children, the third generation of the family to use it in their homes. :)