Pages

Thursday, October 17, 2013

The things that get me...right here

Anatomical Heart from The Graphics Fairy
It's official. I've turned in to my mother. I've sensed it coming for many years, but I haven't quite come to admitting it in public. I'm not embarrassed by the fact, just not quite ready for it...I thought I was young!

Growing up my mother cried at the drop of a hat. She cried at her favorite TV shows: The Little House on the Prairie, The Waltons and Highway to Heaven. She cried at special events like my choir concerts or graduations. She would even cry at songs on the radio. It drove me crazy. Mostly because I was not born with the ability to sooth people who are crying so I didn't know how to respond. I just felt awkward. And now, I am that person.

There are so many things that get me right here...is this big ol' heart. In fact, I've noticed it's the little things that get me to tear up.

School pick up and drop off get me nearly everyday. My watery eyes started here with the sadness of dropping off my oldest for his first day of school. I had spent every waking moment with that boy for five years and it was hard to say goodbye...if only for a few hours. I soon got over that hump, but it wasn't long before I teared up for another reason: seeing the commonality of love. Every morning I walk my son to school and I watch as other parents drop off the most important people in their life. There are hugs, kisses, "have a good days." I suppose it is the knowledge that we are all the same in small ways. We all love our children and only wish the best for them. There is an overwhelming feeling of love each morning at 8:00 and it gets me every time...right here.

6 comments:

Dorene from Ohio said...

My mom and I both cried over many episodes of the Waltons and Little House, and Hallmark movies too. Loved this post!

John said...

We live in a rural area much too far away to walk to our elementary school even if there were any sidewalks or other safe routes to take, but I remember vividly the day when we first put our older son on the bus at the end of the driveway to go off to his first day of school. And then two years later when we put our older son and younger son on the bus at the end of the driveway to go off to school together for the first time. We have photos of the milestones with them and their backpacks and teddybear cutouts with their name on them hanging around their necks. ;-)

Heather Kuhn Roelker said...

Dorene, my mom worked for Hallmark for 36 years...a factory of feel-good tears, that place is! So glad to hear we're not alone. ;)

Heather Kuhn Roelker said...

John, your comment reminds me that no matter how you get your kids to school, across the country around 8:00 a.m. there is a lot of love in the air. Gives me a cozy feeling!

Jacqi Stevens said...

One of those small ways we share commonalities is in that discovery you had. I think there are a lot of us who've had to admit, "I've become my mother!"

A sweet commentary on this moment in time so many of us have shared.

Heather Kuhn Roelker said...

You are right, Jacqi. I'm proud to me just like my mom and have those moments!