Pages

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - Traditions - White Christmas

The best Christmas movie of all time is Irving Berlin's White Christmas. In our family, this is a never-missed movie. We watch it every year, often on Christmas Eve and usually with yummy, fattening snacks. Every time we watch it my mom cries. I never understood why, but now that I'm older I think I understand. Every time we watch it Dad says the same comment during the same scene. At first it was annoying, but now it just isn't Christmas without it! During "The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing," a song and dance scene with Danny Kaye and Vera Ellen, my father always says, "I love how men used to match their shoes to their suits." Ah, so endearing! It is hard to pinpoint a favorite scene, but I think it would have to be a scene in World War II, when Bing Crosby is singing White Christmas to the troops and you can just sense the longing for home on the Soldiers faces. A wonderful movie with a phenomenal soundtrack!


No comments: