Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

Family Recipe Friday - Buttermilk biscuits

My mother was a very good biscuit maker. She used to make biscuits for breakfast that we would spread with strawberry jelly and butter. I have her old recipe, but unfortunately, my efforts don't result in the same tasty biscuit. I decided to try to find another recipe that I could excel at and found this almost effortless recipe. The biscuits come out delicious and I frankly believe there is something mysterious in them that makes me crave them fortnightly. But I digress. These are really easy to make and the batch is small enough that you won't have leftovers. The only downside is that the recipe calls for buttermilk, not necessarily a refrigerator staple. I have found, though, that when I do buy the buttermilk for this recipe I make batch after batch just to use it up...happily!

Buttermilk biscuits

Ingredients
2 cups self-rising flour
1/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup buttermilk
melted butter

Directions:
Blend the flour and shortening together. Add the buttermilk and mix for one minute. Roll out and cut. Bake at 450 degrees F for 8 minutes then brush with butter. Yields 6-8 biscuits.

1 comment:

Jenny Jones said...

Oh my gosh, Heather, these look delicious! And reading the recipe, I'm sure they are. Sounds easy enough that even I could manage it...hmmm, there goes the diet!