Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday - My own Find A Grave volunteer

I love Findagrave.com. I try to volunteer here locally when I can because I use the site so much for finding distant relatives. During a recent trip back home to visit family I had an opportunity to visit a cemetery and fill my own photo request. When I have a little extra time during visits home I open Findagrave.com and look for my photo requests. On this particular visit I saw that I had two requests for a cemetery near Millville, Missouri in Ray County. I had not been there before so decided to take my little ones on an adventure.

I had not looked to see the other ancestors buried here so it was nice to stumble across the headstone of my great-great grandparents: Minnie Dudgeon White and Hugh C. White. I already had a photo of their headstone, but it was nice to actually see it. I also taught my little dude the ritual of placing a pebble on the stone to let them know you had made a visit.
And here are the headstones I had traveled to find. We nearly left without finding them, but I made one last effort.


These are the headstones for Louvicy (yet another way to spell it) Pritchard Wall and Wade Wall, my fourth great-grandparents. I love cemetery adventures!


4 comments:

Debi Austen said...

I love cemeteries, too, and wish I had more of an opportunity to visit those where my ancestors are laid to rest. I think I'm going to have that chance next month when we make a road trip - can't wait! How great that you're starting your kids early.

Colleen G. Brown Pasquale said...

I recently joined Find A Grave. It is a nice way to help others!

SusieG said...

I found your site looking for the correct pronunciation of Louvicey which was my great grandmother's name. How do you think it was pronounced?
Thank you, Susie

Heather Kuhn Roelker said...

SusieG-
Hmm, that is a good question! I think it was pronounced Loo-vee-cee. But I really don't have any proof! What do you think?