Pages

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Tuesday's Tune - He Stopped Loving Her Today

George Jones' "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is the quintessential county and western song and by far one of my personal favorites. I'm not sure when I first heard the song, although it was probably while riding in an old Ford two-tone pickup with my grandpa. Soon after college I was really in to classic country music and my love for the song was reaffirmed.
The song was released April 14, 1980. According to his biographer, Bob Allen, George Jones didn't like the song when he heard it. His producer, Billy Sherrill, remembered Jones saying "nobody'll buy that morbid son of a bitch." Of course, Jones was wrong. In fact, he was awarded a Grammy for best male vocal performance and the Academy of County Music named the song single and song of the year for 1980.

Jones' later credited the song for reviving his career. A career which lasted nearly 60 years and only ended at his death earlier this year.

7 comments:

D.E.B. said...

Great idea for a Tuesday post! Songs trigger so many memories. You should suggest "Tuesday's Tune" for a geneablogger daily prompt. I am adding it to my list!

Simply Lokal said...

Great post! I love that song, too. I agree with D.E.B. Tuesday's Tune would be a great prompt for Geneablogger!-Revis

Wendy said...

It is a great song. Just a couple weeks ago, I was at an event where a band performed it. Funny how you can go for years without hearing a song, and then suddenly you hear it multiple times in a short span.

Heather Kuhn Roelker said...

Thanks, D.E.B.! I did suggest it a while ago, but it didn't get picked up. Maybe if more people start using it, we can get it added. I can't wait to see what songs you write about!

Heather Kuhn Roelker said...

Thank you, Revis! Let me know if you use the prompt!

Heather Kuhn Roelker said...

That happens to me too, Wendy. In my case it was MacArthur Park. I hadn't heard it for a while and then it was on daily on XM!

Simply Lokal said...

I may use that prompt some. My grandfather wrote songs and went to Nashville.