Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

Matrilineal Monday - Ella Caroline Webb

Ella Caroline Webb is a third-great grandmother on my maternal side. Ella was born November 17, 1864 to Charles and Louisa (Watson) Webb.
I have found no documentation for Ella's birth other than her death certificate and obituary. I can also find no information on her mother, Louisa. The first document I find noting Ella Webb is the 1870 census, which shows her living with her father and his family. It can only be assumed that Louisa died between 1864 and 1870 and that Charles moved in with his mother to help care for the child. Ella was born in Nebraska, but by 1870 she and her father are living in Ray County, Missouri.
 
Charles Webb was a farmer and owned land in Ray County. Ella lived with her father on his farm until she married Henry Clay Hankins in 1885.
Henry and Ella Hankins had two children, both girls. The birthdates of the girls are fairly far apart, but I have found no records to indicate that there were other children.
Ella lived out her life on a farm in Rayville, Missouri.
She died on January 6, 1946 following a five-month battle with stomach cancer. She is buried next to her husband in Crowley Cemetery, Rayville, Missouri.
Due outs for Ella:
1. Post on genealogy boards and reach out to Ray County Historical Society to try to track down photographs of Ella.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

To have an obit and death cert for a 3G grandmother sounds GREAT to me! That house is cute as a button ~

Heather Kuhn Roelker said...

Yes, I'm very lucky! I think the house may still be standing, though I doubt it's been put on Google street view yet...too country!