Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Fearless Females - Education

My mom's graduation May 25, 1972
Throughout the history of my direct ancestor lines it appears that education was more of a male achievement. My mother and my grandmothers all graduated from high school. My mother attended Richmond High School in Richmond, Missouri, and my maternal grandmother graduated from Hardin High School in Hardin, Missouri. My paternal grandmother, Lois Burnett, attended Westport High School in Kansas City, Missouri. She graduated in 1938.
My high school graduation on May 26, 1995.
To date I have found no female ancestors in my direct line that attended college. Which makes me the first! Even though my female ancestors did not attend college, I learned long ago that higher learning can not replace common sense. I learned as much from my female ancestors as I did from the males. Education is more than just books!

Fearless Females is a series of blogging prompts began by The Accidental Genealogist honoring National Women's History month.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

My mom was the first in my direct line - male or female - to go to college, but two of her aunts graduated from college.

Heather Kuhn Roelker said...

Wow, that is a big accomplishment Wendy! My dad has his masters degree, but now that I think about it, he was the first in either of his direct lines! So I guess I follow in great footsteps.