Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Treasure Chest Thursday - Our National Parks

Pea Ridge National Military Park
A couple of days ago I heard a report on NPR regarding the effects of the sequester on our National Parks. I must admit that I was sad to hear that the National Park Service has to cut more than $150 million from their budget. While the story stated that the amount is only 5% of the NPS budget, it will mean visible changes to visitors. You may see grass not cut as often at cemeteries, limited staff or limited hours. Plan your trip ahead of time to avoid missing the park you want to see.

Now seems like a perfect time to do what we can as historians to support the parks. Go visit a local historic site or one that your ancestor was at. Or make a donation through your time or wallet. Visit The National Parks Foundation on more ways to help our national parks in these tough times.

5 comments:

Debi Austen said...

Ohhhh, good reminder, Heather. Thanks!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

This is a great reminder- I think we sometimes take our national parks for granted.

Heather Kuhn Roelker said...

I concur. My husband and I have the National Parks Passport and it is our goal to visit many of the locations, but we don't do it enough. We have some here in Arkansas that we have never been too! I need to step up my game and support them.

Donna Hanson said...

Let me know if you guys decide to visit Pea Ridge (or Orrick) and I'll meet you there! Pea Ridge is one of our favorite hiking spots.

Heather Kuhn Roelker said...

Will do, Donna! I drove through Orrick last summer because my husband saw a sign for an antique store there. There were only a handful of buildings...but no time to stop for genealogy! I'm hoping to head up there again in the next couple of months. I'll let you know.