Pages

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Surname Saturday - Edward M. Creed

I am related to Edward M. Creed through my paternal side. Edward is an ancestor of which I know relatively little. There are many mentions of him online but to date I have found no "proof" of any of the information, so this post will reflect only the confirmed information.

Edward was born sometime around 1810 in North Carolina. I know that the family was in Surry County, North Carolina, in 1841 and in 1860. However, I find them in Cherokee County, North Carolina in 1850. That is more than a 260 mile difference, which seems strange for the time.

I have found no concrete evidence of Edward's parentage. Some online trees list his parents as Bennett W. Creed and Mary Moore, but I have found nothing to confirm it. I also do not have proof of his marriage to his first wife, Telitha/Talitha. Other than her listing on the 1850 census, I have nothing about her. This is particularly sad because she is #6 on my 3rd great grandparents list. ;)
It is believed that her maiden name was Cockerham, but again, no proof. I know of the following children born to Edward and Talitha:
There are records showing an Edward Creed of Surry County, North Carolina marrying two more times. Is this my Edward? I don't know! At least I don't know for sure. I don't know when Edward died and my link to him, his son Joseph, moved away as soon as he became of age so there is no information through this line. For years I have tried to extend this line past Edward, but everyone I have spoken to did not have the documentation I MUST have to continue the line. Are their trees right? Probably. But without any documents I'm just not happy.

The bottom line is that I know Edward existed and that he lived in Surry County, North Carolina. The. End.

Based on the above information I have the following "due-outs" for Edward (there isn't enough space on this blog, but I'll try):
1. Find a marriage record between Edward and Talitha.
2. Find a death date.
3. See if I can find an obituary.
4. Look AGAIN for a family history online. Perhaps something has been uploaded since my last search.
5. Try to determine where Edward was born.
6. Determine why the family was in Cherokee County, North Carolina in 1850.
This post is part of my on-going goal of 2013 to research each of my 32 3rd great-grandparents more in-depth. Edward is #5 on my list.

No comments: